Thursday, January 20, 2011

Perpsectives on dreams (1) (The what, why, where, how, who and when)

The post is written in letter correspondance format addressed to a friend.

Oh no Edwin, please do not be sorry to share your thoughts with me. Why should you be? I am also a student like you. You should instead feel sorry to rebut Brad. I demand that you continue to stick your leg in my conversations, if only beca...use Brad would love it!

“I think that it... is not very right or appropriate to call Eunice's 'dreams' fluffy or ungrounded.”

“anyway, dreams are meant to be fluffy and ungrounded”

You mentioned the first statement and that is all well and good as an opinion, but then you made the 2nd statement almost immediately after the first which fell me, because you agreed that dreams are fluffy and ungrounded after all. So then you (and Yu Tian who similarly felt dreams are fluffy and ungrounded) are living justification and proof, unconsciously, that dreams are meant to be both fluffy and ungrounded. The reason why me or anybody would say that dreams are fluffy and ungrounded, consciously and unconsciously, is because we are psyched by a lifetime of exposure to fact and fiction, which then condition us to be able to tell truth from gimmick, real from unreal, realistic from ideal. Yet dreams are not obsolete for being too ideal. They are somewhat part of a blueprint for success by virtue of the hope it promises which is its real essence, not so much the actual idealism that it conveys. If there is hope, there is similarly progress because people will almost certainly try to align, both consciously and unconsciously, their goals with that hope, the outcome of which any progress made is deemed a success story! Does anybody disagree?

Dreams are then some sort of symbolic perfection, representative of the imprint of an entire psyche/mind/soul/spirit/nature, and they are peculiarly conceived. Consequently dreams have to be fluffy and ungrounded because they are inherent characteristics to a perfection. Does anybody disagree? Is it then any surprise when I or anybody says that dreams are fluffy and ungrounded. In my post to Eunice above, I clearly was not attacking the notion that dreams-as-fluffy were wrong, rather, I was attacking the act of overly indulging in dreams, or failing to manage your emotions and desires. It beats me as to how anyone could read otherwise. Maybe I should also clarify a little on the type of dreams I am referring to in all that I wrote above.

When somebody says---“I dream of having a car or wife like that---(image in his mind),” he is really talking about expectations. He should be able to pull out the closest ad/picture containing the closest approximation of his dream car or wife, which for instance could turn out to be a Lamborghini or a Heidi Klum in swimsuit respectively. That is adequate concerning overall outward physical appearance. For the internal structure which would be the overall ‘feel’ and heart/mind/agency/soul/spirit/psyche/nature of a car and woman respectively, it would be more difficult to approximate because no 2 hearts/minds and ‘feels’ are the same. But he could probably describe to you what a dream heart/mind/soul wife would be like, and if he does it well and he truly knows what a ‘beautiful’ woman is all about, you should image Mother Theresa in your mind, so that his dream woman has the exquisite beauty of Heidi and the enormous heart of Mother Theresa. So far, the dream that I am referring to is conscious dreaming or more accurately adjusted expectation or goal-setting. Dreams of the sort you conceived while in RAM sleep are not the dreams I am referring to, because while they are dreams, you have no direct control over it, which means you didn’t consciously act to think of something bigger, better or more pleasurable, something which you do in goal-setting! When ads write “dare to dream big”, they really mean “dare to THINK big”, so that you know that dreaming CAN be thought as conscious thinking, or don’t anybody know? The dreaming in deep sleep is as uncertain as Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle. You never know what dream to expect before you sleep every night. Therefore, one shouldn’t pay too much attention to such dreams. Again, would anybody say otherwise? Probably yes, because it is only natural for people to have opinions about as many things as is possible.

Moving on, if you revisit my previous post, I mentioned about the dream university that Harvard is. On a similar note, and a long while back, there was a photo-banner advertisement specifically targeted at graduating high-school students waiting to enter college. It showcased Harvard students from cocktail backgrounds, casually seated on what I thought was a painstakingly manicured lush verdant lawn overlooked by an 18th century Baroque-styled edifice, interacting with their Harvard mentors and amongst themselves. I was especially taken aback by the noteworthy finishing because it really made the picture come out of its element into the ambience where its effect can be at its strongest because it is ready-made to be experienced. It was so corporeal I had thought the foyer where I saw this photo-banner was actually the lawn itself, the imposing porch on the 2nd level the Baroque-styled building, and the gorgeous girl seated nearby a few metres away one of the female students speaking with her professor, the former of whom I had obviously grew an uncanny liking for, but of which I failed to pursue further, because the effect of the picture was such as to take the sting out of my X-factor. In short, I forgot that I exist or existed. LOL.


But therein lies the power of an image or word/phrase/sentence (because you think of images when you think of words/sentences/phrases), to fire your imagination which is the prerequisite for a dream. The picture was to me so all-encompassing, transcendent, larger-than-life, that it forever created an imprint in my mind; such that every once in a while when I sit on my resident veranda to sip iced-mocha and steal a quiet moment for myself, I find my thoughts inexplicably and with no conscious manipulation, in the eye of the picture every now and then.

That---is a conscious dream stemmed from seemingly innocent but powerful beginnings. A lofty dream it is also. I had also been conscious and fully awaked throughout the dream process and had full control over my senses. Who can say I hold a grudge against Dream? Dream says she is on my side; and she reiterated her love for me only just.

Toss

No comments:

Post a Comment