Tuesday, April 12, 2011

THE FOREBODING ORAL PRESENTATION: A CLOSER REFLECTION

This article hopes to make the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or Harvard Business Review. Contact me with the email in my blog profile if you express interest in a deal.

As I thought and evaluated deeper about my presentation, I felt I looked like somebody selling cupcakes and sherbets on some wary pavement street in Gaylang---and that was how terrible I thought I persuaded my audiences. Really, I was thoroughly undone with my performance.:[

It seemed I lacked bodily testosterone, my gestures seemed unmanly and lacked deciding or winning strength, power, energy, like that of Simon Sinek's. I wondered if it's anything got to do with me not having ate breakfast or lunch up till that point of the day, and only had apple and lots of water all day, as I always do. My voice told it all----that I lost all my testosterone to lack of fuel, with the result that I made sounds that were frankly deathly! That is to me so shocking and disappointing! But I'm not about to change my eating habits just now, or maybe the sounds I make are innate, in which case I am even more disappointed with myself.

But all is not lost for me I feel, I think I can still learn to intentionally make the sounds I want more emphatically, I still habor hope I can sound as powerfully good and persuasive as Simon Sinek, my demi-god in world class presentation propriety, right now!!!


If anyone felt persuaded by my soft, effeminate presentation, you still have time to change your minds. I didn't sell you URA, I sold you cupcakes and sherbets, and too affordable ones, you were hoodwinked by a choiceless fraud, a Simon disguise, wanna-be, failed terribly.


Go to Simon instead, he has the real cupcakes and sherbets; learn from Simon instead, he has all the keys to the art of presentation. As for female fellow coursemates, you might need a female 'model' of presentation, and I can't seem to think of anyone striking, but if I find, and like, one, I'll tell all of you girls from my blog here!


Hey I'm not sexist, male chauvinist or any of their aliases, I only feel that feminine has her own set of 'proper', 'correct', and 'world-class' presentation rules, which must not get mixed up with largely male-driven ones in our world, but still the underlying and fundamental presentation principles stay the same regardless of gender house. Feminine needs to learn to use her feminine strengths and traits to her advantage, just as masculine has his own, and these advantages are exactly advantages because they are mutually exclusive to gender.

By standout feminine strength or trait, I don't mean anywhere close to femme fatale or distorted views of bionic woman single-handedly overcome the world, rather, she finds her rest in liveliness, gentleness, delicacy, anticipation, mindfulness, quick-thinking, the same uplifting values that generally work for male subjects, and for anywhere from presenting to broking.


"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.”

Knowing the general fundamentals of presentation is intelligent acting; knowing your gender fundamentals of presentation is good wisdom. Mastering the general fundamentals of presentation takes some strength; mastering the gender fundamentals of presentation is true POWER!!!

Do you want power, do you want persuasion, do you want convincing, do you want complete control of your audiences inside out, themselves gender culturalized? If so, you must master into the microscope of presentation---its gender!

The only problem, scant literature on female presentation grooming besides superficial dressing style exist, actually, few literature on male presentation grooming exist either, with the result that we are made to do with nothing more than a one size fits all, monolithic, tight and sometimes uncomfy, ideology, that isn't always watertight.

Boys and girls ideally learn grooming by mimic, of expert boys and girls, but by specializing, creating, growing your own small personal haven of references on gendered presentation grooming, I like to think you couldn't be for the worst!


Un amorito
Nuevo York que si!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,

    I like the first part of your post. It is light, yet shows wit. You've adopted a different style, well done!
    But I have to point out that somehow, I felt that it digressed from your original topic, unless I have misunderstood, and the topic you wanted to address is gender.

    What do you think? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you are right bro, I certainly didn't stay that close to the title of the post. At least it isn't that clear how gender fits into the title. So I better tell you now. Haha!

    Well actually when I wrote 'closer reflection' in the title, I wanted everybody to think that I was going to really have a really close reflection, which is that I am going to analyze the oral presentation so closely that I discover new insights and ideas, and gendered presentation was one of them, it struck me out of the blue mountain!

    There are some good female presenters girls should learn from, though I can't really recall who they are, maybe because most good presenters seemed to be only men nowadays. But for men, Simon Sinek is one of the best there is around to learn from. I must thank Yu Tian so dearly for sharing that TED video, he brought my opinions about good presentation to life.

    As for writing style, why didn't anybody say they want me to write like this way in the beginning of the semester? Now its too late, semester is over. I don't get to write anymore. Haha!


    Cheers

    ReplyDelete